Most people are, at least from time to time, guilty of many or most of these listening bad habits. The most important thing is to be aware of your tendency to fall into these bad habits and consciously try to avoid making these mistakes. Do not to be too hard on yourself if you check many or even all of these bad habits. It is all part of human nature!
Following is a list of ten bad habits of listening.
Check those listening bad habits that you are sometimes guilty of committing when communicating with others. Be honest with yourself!
- I interrupt often or try to finish the other person’s sentences.
- I jump to conclusions.
- I am often overly parental and answer with advice, even when not requested.
- I make up my mind before I have all the information.
- I am a compulsive note taker.
- I don’t give any response afterward, even if I say I will.
- I am impatient.
- I lose my temper when hearing things I don’t agree with.
- I try to change the subject to something that relates to my own experiences.
- I think more about my reply while the other person is speaking than what he or she is saying.
In our 'Take away' page of the website, you will find some tips for effective listening.